Monday, April 30, 2012

Why I Love Working from Home



Working from home has been my life for that past 3 years. I used to work in an office for almost 7 yrs. Recently, I received a few invitations from LinkedIn and private companies to work in an office environment. This led me to write a list of pros and cons, listing down the possibilities and I have decided to share it here.


HOME BASED WORK


PROS


No commute - No traffic


No expenses - fare, snacks, meals, pocket money


No uniform and no need to dress up every morning (unless you want to... sometimes I wear my sneakers and walking gear so that I can go walking immediately after work.)


Save time - no travel time wasted


Spend more time with family - meals, breaks, before or after work... travel time becomes extra time which I use to bond with my Lola and the rest of our family. Sometimes I go walking or join aerobics class.


Flexible hours and no work on weekends - Weekends is when I can do whatever I want like going to the mall, watching movies with friends. Sometimes, I work during weekends but that is by choice.


No pressure from the boss - Being a virtual assistant and freelance writer has so many perks and this one is among my favorites. I love working on my own without any pressure from my clients. They just let me do my work and they don't really intrude. I just have to deliver what they want done and that's it!


Earn dollars - You can earn as much as you want! Sky's the limit when it comes to home-based work, especially if your skill set is amazing. You can have as many clients as you want.


Choose good and kind clients - There is a very high demand for Filipino Virtual Assistants in the U.S., Australia and other first world countries. For the past 2 years, I have been very blessed with gentle and generous clients who have been very good to me. God is good! :)


CONS


Must have a clean, silent home office where you can work in peace - working at home can be distracting, especially if you have a family. The good news is, all you really need is a quiet corner where you can focus on work and get it done on time. I am blessed to be living in a fairly quiet home.


Human contact is limited - conversation is limited to the people at home. This makes it easier to concentrate on work. I can always go out anytime if I crave conversation with my friends.


No healthcare, social security, 13th month pay, Christmas bonus, stock options or retirement plans


This last one is not really an issue if you know how to manage your time and money and if you are highly skilled. You can earn millions if you want to. Again, sky's the limit!


And so, home-based work won hands-down (again!). Working freelance is especially enjoyable because you can manage your tasks to maximise the hours that you spend on work. There is another perk that I forgot to include. Your clients can become your mentor, especially if they really like your performance. That means you grow professionally and your skill set continues to grow too! Some clients may even offer to sponsor your move to their country so you can join their company.


At the end of the day, I am confident that this is what I am meant to do. I love being a writer and I enjoy working from home so I am very grateful. How about you? I would love to hear your story. Please feel free to leave a note or two. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

My Blog's Visitors